21 February 2006

The Olympics

They only come around once every four years. Yeah, yeah, I know technically they're on every two years but I have to wait 4 more years to see pairs skating again so...just nod your head now.

It's every country's TOP athletes. That's HUGE. Could you imagine being your country's #1 athlete, or even #2 or 3? I know I would never have been disciplined enough to even go half the distance these folks have.

So why is the press slamming them down?

MSNBC says the Olympics need a big star.

Why?

Why does the press feel the need to hype them up prior to the competition but when they come in 4th or 5th, the press slams them down.

I feel for Sasha Cohen. So what she hasn't spoken with the press. Just means the girl is concentrating on her skating. She doesn't have to give you a sound bite to make you happy. The only person she has to satisfy with her skating is herself. But that's not enough for the press. They're speculating all over the place about why she isn't talking with the press.

And for God's sake, leave Bode Miller alone. The man has proven his abilities over and over and over again, yet he ends up 5th and the press starts talking about how much he's partying. Do you mean to tell me he's the only athlete over there partying? Cuz last time I checked it takes more than one person to party. Bode is an awesome skier. And he's 5th in the world right now. Heck, there ain't a number large enough for where I would end up in a skiing competition.

I don't see any press members out there skiing for all their worth. Or trying a triple toe loop and landing it. Are they wearing speedskates and skating the 500 in under 30 seconds?

Nope. Don't see any of that.

Why can't they just appreciate the fact that these are the TOP athletes each country has. And enjoy the competition.

Why does it have to be a medal count?

Man oh man, just to represent your country means you have won.

So to the members of the press- LAY OFF!

Relax and enjoy the games. Enjoy the artistry and spirited rivalries of athletes who have seesawed their wins between them. Enjoy the Olympic spirit. Enjoy the coming together of countries that otherwise would spit on each other.

Put a positive spin on the stories. So what if the US only won the bronze. Good grief, that means we're 3rd in the world! There's nothing shameful about that. Instead, treat it as a cause to celebrate.

Relax and enjoy the fun.

I know I am.

5 Comments:

At 9:07 AM, Blogger KathyK said...

I've been watching every night and am in awe of what these people can do. I agree that the press is not helping the games by their incessant carping. For the athletes, it's a no-win situation: if they talk to the press then don't take the gold, they aren't working hard enough and their "diva attitude" makes then easy to slap down. If they don't talk to the press because they are working hard and trying not to get distracted, they are unsure of themselves or they are "too good" to come down to deal with lesser mortals.

I have to say that of all the commentators for skating, Dick Button is one of the best, in my opinion. He always says something kind about the efforts even if there are mistakes he points out. And he hasn't lost the main idea about skating, that it should be beautiful to look at. That it should express the feeling of the music and that the pairs should actually be dancing together as a unit, with the two greater than the separate individuals.

 
At 8:15 PM, Blogger Only $19.95 said...

Hell, knowing that Bode IS partying every night? Makes me even MORE in awe of him! :)

Not to mention the hundreths of fractions of seconds separating him from the "top four."

I say, "Keep that party going!!"

Plus, he's hot. That doesn't hurt!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

With 24/7/365 sports coverage - the press has to fill up airtime - they don't care how they do it - and the more controversy they can whip up - the better they like it because then people will watch.

I'm rooting for Sasha Cohen and I don't care if she talks to the press or not. Personally I want the press to leave the athletes alone until they are done competing. AND I don't want to see any athlete bios when I tune in to watch a competition.

I went to watch some of the skating last night to see Sasha... I get an "up close and personal" bio instead. All I want to see is her skate. That's it - I don't care how she got there. I know all I need to know about her - she skates beautifully and she's a HUGE supporter of Soldier's Angels. Now let's see the competition!

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger Ga Mongrel said...

Oooohh! Ooh! The drama! The men's skate 'team' are competing for individual medals. And they're not all lovey-dovey. Oh the drama.

Just give me the contests. Don't need this over-hyped press moment.

 
At 6:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

NH has a bunch of people in the Olympics so the local news shows more clips of the competition than the actual "coverage" does. OTOH, I don't watch the winter Olympics. Now if the summer games would just show more of the Equestrian events...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google