03 January 2006

New Year Resolutions

What's yours?

Cuz everybody makes them.

Most resolutions are pretty normal stuff.

Some people want to lose weight. Others want to quit smoking.

Occasionally you get the really weird resolutions. One male acquaintenance several years back made a resolution to sleep with as many girls as he could; his bottom number was 32. I don't know if he kept it...and don't really wanna know.

So who made up the idea of New Year Resolutions? Why did they? And why on New Years day? Why not have birthday resolutions? That makes just as much sense.

I've made a few. In 1991 I made a resolution to lose weight. I finally lost the weight in 1994. In 1993 I decided to quit smoking. I kept that one for a year and a half. Pretty boring stuff.

Those were pretty much the only ones I kept. And even then for a short amount of time. I made a resolution once to quit cussing. That one lasted for a day. Actually for the time I was asleep.

So all in all I've failed at keeping resolutions.

So in 1996 after so many failed resolutions, I tried one more.

I resoluted never to make another New Year Resolution.

I've kept it for 10 years.

2 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

The mother of a high school friend once told me that making resolutions to give up something was pointless. She advocated resolutions (and Lenten promises) that were acts of commision rather than omission - resolution to do something positive. OTOH, I don't do New Year's resolutions or Lenten give-ups. *bg*

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

I don't do resolutions... if I decide I want to do something - I do it - I'm not waiting for New Years Day to start. *grin*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google