09 May 2006

Herpes anyone?

So we're discussing television advertising today. And somehow all those commercials promoting medications came up, in particular, the commercial promoting a Herpes medication (I forget which one).

We all agreed that you couldn't pay us enough money to go on TV and state "I haven't had an outbreak in years!"

Which led to "Do you think those actors really have it?"

And out of my mouth came these words-

"They better have it!"

Oh yeah, I really said it. And turned 15 various shades of red immediately.

Instant quiet. Instant silence. Instant stillness.
******************************************

Then the snickering started which turned into snickersnorting.

Then the lone quizzical look...

My reasoning: If they didn't have it and are professing how the medication helped them, wouldn't that be false advertising?

Which led to "how do you prove false advertising in a case like this?"

At which, I ducked out of the conversation.

Yes, it was an interesting day!

4 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, not only that, but just think how everyone seems to believe whatever they see on television. If they don't have it - 99.9% of the world now believes they do. And they will never get most of those people to believe otherwise, even if they give out a statement from a doctor.

Talk about putting yourself in a niche to get your 15 minutes of fame. ROFL!

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger KathyK said...

Haven't you heard the term,"actor"? One doesn't necessarily have to personally experience something in order to give a convincing portrayal. Maybe you missed the small print at the bottom of the screen that said "not a real patient, do not try without medical advice." ;-) Of course, it's a very common infection, so the likelihood is that at least one of them actually has it. Frankly, I'd rather have a discussion about herpes and its treatment on TV than "feminine hygiene" product commercials.

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger Twin Mommie said...

That reminds me of those commercials

" I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV"

LOL

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say about the herpes commercials is that they make me glad I'm in a long-term monogamous relationship :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google