06 December 2005

An answer to conceit

Several weeks ago I posted about a family member's request for me to be conceited about my career.

This week I received the answer why.

My Grandma (whom I'm named after) took the facts of my life and transformed it into a life story. Let me explain.

I gave the facts- dates, times, locations, awards, etc.

My Mama and Grandma together added stories and experiences to the facts. And it became a story.

It was amazing. I cried when I read it. I've never been anyone's "Heroine" much less "Heroine of the week."

My grandmother also put my name on the prayer request list with my address.

I've received Christmas cards from all over North America. One card even said they happened to pick up a copy of the paper on their way through town while traveling and saw my address. Every one of them has put a smile on my face.

Why?

These cards from people I don't know are telling me just how special they think us military folk are.

We don't feel that we do anything special in our every day life. I know I don't. I get up in the morning, pull my pants on one leg at a time just like everyone else, drink my coffee, and head to work. It's just another day. Yeah, I wear the same thing to work every day but that just saves me time in the morning trying to figure out what to wear. And I don't have to worry about color coordination or fashion sense.

To me and the others here, it's just another day.

And tomorrow we'll get up, get dressed, drink our coffee, and head to work. Just like today.

3 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger Teresa said...

Ah, but you are special... I'm so glad lots of people are letting you know!

 
At 7:51 PM, Blogger Harvey said...

You should publish the list (possibly edited to protect the innocent).

I'd love to see it :-)

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger Twin Mommie said...

Harvey- your wish is granted

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google